What is a moderator, and what is included in the duties of this person
Have you ever asked yourself the question: "What is a moderator?" But in fact it is much more difficult to answer it than it might seem at first glance.
Profession?No, because there is no such faculty or specialization in universities not only of our country, but of the whole world. Hobby? It is also unlikely, because the direction is in demand and is considered a necessary position on websites and forums.
It is only necessary to open an Internet resource dedicated to finding a job, as an announcement that a site moderator is required, almost immediately falls into sight.
And what is it? Let's try to figure it out together.
Section 1. What is a moderator? Urgency of this direction
First of all, it is necessary to note the very namewas derived from the Latin word moderor, which means "to contain" or "moderate" in Russian. That is, it can be said that this is a special computer user who has more powers in comparison with all other participants of public network resources, to which one can include forums, chats and echoconferences.
The moderator has the right to delete or edit other people's messages, and if necessary, cancel the pages and restrict the rights of some participants to view or edit the resource.
It should be noted that here I listed only the most basic tasks, and, in principle, for each site has its own, more specific list of duties and authorities.
Section 2. What is a moderator and types of moderation
In general, moderation can be carried out in several ways.
- Pre-moderation allowscontrol the content of messages before they are published on the site. The moderator checks and, if necessary, corrects spelling or punctuation mistakes, properly complements the message, prepares it, and only then makes a decision to publish. Sometimes the content is simply deleted. This type, as a rule, is used on official resources of companies or in network communities devoted to a certain topic. The advantage is that the forums do not resemble a garbage dump. However, among the shortcomings it is necessary to note the possible subjectivity on the part of the moderator and the low efficiency.
- Postmoderation allows you to control the contentalready after its publication. Such messages appear much faster, but the probability of getting into their number of spam or flood is also increasing. The moderator on these sites is forced to attend all the time.
- Automatic moderation.In this case, the participants themselves vote "for" or "against" the message, and also automatically creates automatic filters and rules. The subjectivity of the moderator is absent, and articles on the site are posted fairly quickly. However, special software is required, which must carry out voting and filtering.
Section 3. What is a moderator? Types of modern moderators
So, having read the material in this article,you are convinced that your site requires a moderator? Well, a very correct decision, but let me find out which one, because for today there are several types of them already?
I will list the main ones:
- Moderator of the forum.Typically, for these purposes, several people will be needed, since in a short time you will have to delete certain messages or topics as a whole, edit written ones, close discussions, or, conversely, recognize them as important and transfer them to the top of the list.
- The ehokonferencing moderator announces warnings to some particularly emotional users, or prohibits them from expressing their opinions, translating them into "read only" mode.
- The moderator of the news group is an important person on any news site. All information tape passes through it, and it is he who decides on further publication.
- Chat moderator.As a rule, this person follows the course of the discussion and removes users who violate the rules of communication. On some Internet resources of this type the message is accepted by the moderator, and only after that it appears in the chat stream.