Psoriasis- chronic skin disease, which is characterized by the appearance of red, excessively dry, raised spots (peeling) on the inflamed areas of the skin. Psoriasis or scaly zoster is one of the most common non-infectious diseases on the planet. Psoriasis affects people of any gender and age.
Causes of Psoriasis
Psoriasis occurs as a protective reaction of the body. With the disease, the upper layers of individual areas of the skin die off faster. The normal cycle of maturation of skin cells lasts an average of 3-4 weeks, while with psoriasis, this time is reduced to 4-5 days. In medicine, psoriasis is considered a hereditary disease.
The main causes of psoriasis:
- immunological changes;
- deterioration of immunity;
- neurological disorders;
- endocrine diseases;
- deterioration of the metabolic process in the body;
- excessive use of alcohol.
Types of psoriasis
Type I psoriasis occurs in more than 70% of patients - manifests itself in adolescence. The reason - a weak immune system, which is inherited.
Type II psoriasis appears in people after 45 years. This type of psoriasis is not associated with impaired immunity and is not inherited.
Symptoms of psoriasis
- the appearance of small red spots on the skin - psoriastic plaques. Most often they occur on the head, knees, back, arms (elbow joints), nails.
- severe itching of inflamed areas.
Psoriasis is a recurrent (recurring) disease. The exacerbation of the disease occurs at the beginning of the summer and winter seasons. But still, winter psoriasis is more common.
Diagnosis of Psoriasis
If inflammatory plaque resembling psoriasis appears on the skin, consult a dermatologist. And after examining the affected skin, the doctor will make an accurate diagnosis of the disease.
Often, diagnostics cost only a survey, but in some cases they can prescribe a complete blood count for severe forms of psoriasis or a biopsy to exclude other skin diseases.
Treatment of psoriasis
If psoriasis was detected in the initial stages, then prophylactic agents are attributed to the patient - ointment on the basis of tar.
In severe forms of psoriasis, prescribe:
- cryotherapy - the effect on the inflamed areas of cold;
- blood purification - plasmapheresis;
- PUVA-therapy - ultraviolet irradiation of affected skin areas with the use of special medicines.