Pain in the temples and occiput: causes, diagnosis and treatment
Every person throughout his life has repeatedly experienced a headache. It appears, regardless of the state of the body, age, gender. Pain in the temples and in the back of the head can be triggered by various factors: weather conditions, stress, food, strong odors, lack of sleep, etc. At the reception at the doctor, headache is the most common complaint. The cause of its occurrence must be clarified. After all, it can be a symptom of serious diseases. What is the pain? Why does it occur? How to get rid of it? Answers to these questions are presented in the article.
What is pain? This feeling can be characterized as a feeling of discomfort, in which reflex changes occur in the internal organs. Associated pain with potential or actual tissue damage, may be accompanied by emotional stress.It often happens that pain occurs as a result of damage to the spinal cord or brain, as well as peripheral nerves. And what if the pain in the temples and neck is constant? And is it a long one? In this case, changes in various physiological parameters are possible. What could be pain in the back of the head and in the temples? Let's figure it out together.
Types of pain
The pain is divided into two main types. By character, it can be:
The primary can be attributed to pain from overwork, migraine. These are the cases when the brain is not damaged.
Secondary is one of the symptoms of a disease. For example, pain due to some illness, after a head injury, due to vascular diseases, infections of the throat, ears, nose, and more.
It is worth paying attention to the duration, frequency and intensity. Frequent headaches in the back of the head and temples, which are chronic, sometimes indicate the presence of dangerous ailments. They lead to the occurrence of chronic diseases.
Increasing, rapid pain, arising unexpectedly, is a sign of a dangerous disease.This may be hemorrhage, swelling, meningitis.
Pain can also be:
- periodic or constant.
Frequent pains in the neck area of the head and in the temples warn a person that it is necessary to exclude stressful situations and overstrain from life. Any excitement immediately includes special mechanisms in the brain that lead to vascular spasms, restrict capillaries and irritate nerve endings. The main causes of headaches include the following factors:
- Violation of posture, diseases of the spine, most often in the cervical region.
- Physical or mental strain.
- Increased intracranial pressure, migraines, autonomic disorders.
- Difficult situations in life, stress.
- Stiffness of the muscles of the cervical spine after a draft.
- Severe bruises, head injuries.
- Atherosclerosis, high blood pressure - these causes cause pain at certain times of the day, it can also depend on the weather, fatigue, and emotions.
- The vertebral lateral processes, transforming the ligaments into bone tissue, cause intense pain in the back of the head.
Headaches in the temples and occiput: causes
What else do modern man need to know? Other causes contribute to the emergence of headaches. They are listed below:
- Various infections (for colds, sore throats, viral diseases).
- If the tonus of cerebral vessels is disturbed.
- Pain of a psychogenic nature.
- Hangover Syndrome.
- Headaches in women can depend on the menstrual cycle.
- Manifestations of menopause, hormonal changes in its background.
- Migraine attacks, cluster pains.
- The pain that occurs in the mandibular joint, gives to the temple.
- Inflammation of the temporal arteries.
A sharp pain in the temples and nape can very often be confusing. It is difficult to determine what exactly hurts. Especially if a person is far from medicine. Occipital pains can be confused with problems in the cervical spine. When neck extensors hurt, their sensitivity increases when bending and even when touched. A person feels dizzy, rolls up nausea.
Call a doctor urgently.
If the headache is regular, you should immediately consult a doctor. Without his permission, you should not thoughtlessly take analgesics and painkillers. This will lead to various complications and difficulties in further treatment.Pain in the left temple or right lasts more than three days? Do not help medication? Then a visit to the doctor can not be postponed. Medical assistance is also required if, together with pain, a disturbance of speech, vision, motor coordination, nausea and vomiting has occurred.
Often there is a throbbing pain in the back of the head and temples, which increases and increases. A doctor's help is also needed in cases where it is difficult to turn the head, bend over, the temperature rises due to pain or changes in intracranial pressure.
If a patient often experiences headaches, he should be referred for consultation to the following doctors: a neurologist, a general practitioner, an otolaryngologist, an oculist, and a dentist. Why do you need to get around so many professionals? Pain can be associated with diseases of the eyes, ears and teeth.
On examination, the doctor determines the duration and nature of the pain. The following examinations are prescribed:
- Computed tomography (CT). The cavity of the skull on the x-ray is examined for the presence of deviations from the norms of development, circulatory disorders, the detection of tumors.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the brain and spine.Examination reveals the presence of tumors, hernias, injuries, post-stroke foci (often they are associated with pain in the left temple).
- Angiography. This study assesses the condition of the arteries, veins, blood vessels, and aneurysm changes are detected.
- Blood pressure monitoring. Allows you to identify hidden hypertension, which is often the cause of pain in the back of the head and temples.
- A blood test is carried out in order to detect inflammation and the presence of infections.
Pain in temples and occiput. What to do?
There are a number of universal activities that alleviate headaches of any nature. They should be carried out immediately, as soon as they felt pain in the neck area of the head, in the temples or in the frontal part.
- First of all, you need to ventilate the room where you are. Sometimes the flow of oxygen can immediately bring relief or completely eliminate the pain.
- Massage of the neck, neck and shoulders has a good effect.
- Make yourself comfortable, calm down, relax, forget all the stressful situations that have occurred during the day.
Often, even these activities are enough for the primary headache to recede.The simplest methods also help to quickly eliminate the ailment:
- Acupressure - you need to find the active point, which is responsible for the headache in the temples, and massage it well, with an average force to press it about ten times.
- Spasms of the muscles of the head well removes and relaxes a warm or, on the contrary, cold compress.
- Good sleep is a prerequisite for good health. With chronic sleep deprivation, it will be very difficult to get rid of headaches.
If the pain is of a secondary nature, then first of all it is necessary to get rid of the cause of the disease that causes it.
If the simplest methods do not help relieve pain in the temples and in the back of the head, you will have to establish the cause of their occurrence. In the treatment will be used drugs or folk recipes.
Pain relievers and anti-inflammatory drugs, muscle relaxants, help relieve headaches. The treatment plan is established by the doctor only after the diagnosis. For the treatment of acute headaches, additional methods are used, such as:
- manual therapy.
If the pains in the neck, in the neck are permanent, intense, disrupt the normal functioning of a person and even impede movement, then after a correct diagnosis, surgery is possible. Typically, such measures are resorted to extremely rarely, in cases where other methods do not stop the progressive complications.
Risks with no treatment
Pain in the temples and in the neck can be relieved by taking analgesics, but it will not be possible to cure the cause with painkillers alone. Pain in the temples associated with the presence of a variety of nerve endings, with hearing and vision. All organs are interconnected, and a person may complain of tinnitus, reduced vision. If you do not eliminate the cause of pain, then you can lose memory, vision and hearing. The effects of headaches can be unpredictable.
In addition, constant headaches disrupt the normal rhythm of life, interfere with work, communicate normally. A person becomes aggressive, inoperable, there are conflicts in personal relationships, in the family, misunderstanding of loved ones. Is it worth all this to endure? It is more reasonable to consult a doctor for help.
Often the pain in the temples may radiate to the back of the head. Symptoms are very confused and it seems that everything hurts. If the cause of the symptoms is unclear, you need to find out. Even if you use folk remedies, you still need to consult a doctor, as many herbal recipes have their own side effects and contraindications.
Preventing pain in the temples and in the back of the head includes some simple rules:
- lead a healthy lifestyle;
- daily walk in the fresh air;
- do not overcool;
- when working at the computer, take a 15-minute break every hour;
- correctly select the height of the chair, the monitor should be located directly opposite the eyes;
- in case of hypertension, it is necessary to maintain constant pressure control, take drugs, visit a doctor;
- avoid conflicts, stress, learn to relax and manage emotions;
- sleep on orthopedic pillows, mattresses, so that the spine is in the correct position;
- Keep your products clean and fresh.
Do not leave headaches without attention, consult a doctor in time.
Folk recipes. Essential oils
If the pressure in the temples, in the back of the head, you can resort to the means of traditional medicine. Essential oils have proven to be excellent painkillers. They have a beneficial effect on the respiratory organs, the immune system and the nervous system. Rosemary, lavender or mint oil is used to treat headaches. Sage, rose, cypress and oregano are also used. If you feel very tired, a few drops of lavender oil massage in the whiskey, you can mix it with mint. Relief and brings a mixture of oils of wormwood, lavender and mint, each to take two drops.
Helps from pain in the temples and nape cold compress. It is necessary to apply a cold gauze dressing soaked in the following mixture: three drops of chamomile oil and lavender oil, one lemon per 100 ml of water.
Aromatic baths bring good effect. Five drops of lavender, sage, and basil oil are added to the water, the temperature of which should be 37-38 degrees.
Massage with the use of mint, chamomile, lavender oils relieves headaches, they must be diluted with olive oil.
Compresses, decoctions, infusions
There are many popular recipes for headaches.If the pressure in the temples, in the back of the head, you can make a compress using fresh cabbage, it must be well mashed beforehand. It helps a compress of onions or horseradish. The pain in the temples is alleviated by an aloe leaf, it must first be cut across and applied for half an hour. You can make a compress from apple cider vinegar: add a tablespoon of it to a liter of cold water, dampen a cloth and apply it to your temples.
It is recommended to drink herbal for headaches: linden, mint, meadowsweet. Useful tea from chamomile, rose hips and honey.
Viburnum is also popular in such cases, the berries are ground, honey is added and a spoonful is taken four times a day.
Useful will be infusions of such herbs as calendula, St. John's wort, chamomile, thyme, cornflower, lilac. To prepare you need to take one spoonful of dried raw materials, pour a glass of boiling water and infuse for about an hour. Strain. Drink before meals for 1/3 cup.
All folk remedies must be agreed with your doctor, he must give the green light to their use. After all, the reaction of each organism is always individual.