Newborn crisis: features of the first critical period of the baby
The appearance of the baby is a difficult period for both mother and child. A woman needs to recover from childbirth, and the baby needs to adapt to a new world. The adaptation time of the baby is called the neonatal period. Also, the first weeks of life are called the neonatal crisis.
WHAT IS THE NEW-BORN CRISIS?
The crisis of the newborn - the first critical period in the life of a baby, his first injury. Some experts believe that this period affects the further development of the child and his entire subsequent life. On the one hand, the baby has no mental life as such, so the influence can be questioned. On the other hand, perinatal psychology, which studies the period of development of the baby in the womb and its first weeks of life in the world, argues that there is such a thing as prenatal memory. And this means that much of the perinatal period is recorded in the child’s subconscious, which includes the neonatal crisis.
Read also:The first three years of life.Age crises in children
There are two causes of a newborn crisis:
- physiological. The child changes his place of residence, begins an independent life in the new conditions, the body needs adaptation.
- psychological. For now, the child’s psyche is just a set of unconditioned reflexes: respiratory, sucking, protective and indicative.
PECULIARITIES OF THE NEW NEWBORN CRISIS
- The main feature of the newborn crisis is the absence of behavior as such. As we already wrote, during this period the baby is guided by unconditioned reflexes. But also in the first weeks, the baby goes through a period of adaptation and the unconditioned reflexes give way to new skills.
Read also:A complete list of necessary things for the newborn
- The baby distinguishes tastes (salty, bitter and sweet) and reacts to sounds.
- An important point in the mental period of the newborn is the development of the ability to focus on auditory and sound stimuli. At 3-4 weeks of life the child reacts to the voice of mom and dad. Around this period, the crumb learns to hold the view on the subject.
- In the fifth week, the child is able to perceive objects as a whole, track moving elements and react to moving sounds.You can help your child learn new skills with the help of games for the development of hearing and vision.
- During this period, the child begins to recognize the voice of the mother, an emotional contact is established. A feature of the neonatal crisis is the appearance of a “revitalization complex”. This is a special emotional-motor response to adults (mostly to the mother, since it is she who cares for the baby during this entire period and becomes a source of emotions for him). The “revitalization complex” can manifest itself in pulling hands, quick movements with arms or legs, joyful sounds, and a smile.
Read also:What should be in the first-aid kit of a newborn
Scientists consider the appearance of a smile (not simple reflex muscle contractions, but a smile directed to a specific adult) as a transition from the neonatal period to infancy.
During the crisis of a newborn baby can lose weight. Such a reaction is possible and with the transition into infancy everything will return to normal. And how quickly the child will come out of this critical period depends on the parents. If mom and dad communicate with the baby often and in a benevolent manner, the crumbs will quickly have a “revitalization complex”.Indifference, negative emotions contribute to the delay of the child's mental development.
Parents are able to help the child painlessly survive the first crisis. Mom needs to learn how to interact with the baby and respond to his needs. The baby during this period requires constant contact with the mother.