Mistress note: the rules of cooking frozen squid
Mediterranean cuisine has long been new to us, and squids are an integral part of it, like other seafood. They are not only tasty, but also very useful, especially for those who care about their figure. Each housewife has several recipes from this seafood. But can we cook squid correctly? Here are some tips that will help you easily and without errors to cope with this task.
Rules for selection and preparation for cooking
Squids today can be bought in almost any supermarket. Most often they are sold frozen, your choice - with or without tentacles.During the storage of carcasses squid can not be thawed and re-cooled, otherwise the product will be hopelessly spoiled: it will have a bitter taste and unpleasant fishy smell.In addition, during the preparation of squid will spread, and will foam when cooking.
If the squid was stored correctly, its carcass will be dense, the meat is white, and the upper peel is pink-brown or grayish-violet.
When properly stored, the squid carcass has such a color
Note: when choosing squid in the store, give preference to unheated carcasses. It is on the skin that you can determine the freshness of the product and the correctness of its storage. Grayish or yellow skin, from which meat is visible with the wrong shade, is a sign of stale squid.
If you are sure of freshness and good quality of squid, you can buy peeled carcass. With them there will be virtually no hassle: you do not need to scrape the skin, which means that the cooking process will not take much time.
The easiest way to clean frozen squid - boiling water. Just fill the carcasses with boiling water or dip them into it for literally 1-2 seconds. The film that covers the carcass, immediately rolled up, and you can easily remove it, and the remnants can be washed in running cold water. Also peel off the wings. The chitinous plates inside the squid also need to be removed.
Clean squid necessarily, if you plan to use their meat for salad.However, for other dishes it is also useful: the skin can give a bitter taste and hardness, and the plates are generally superfluous.
Features of cooking
The main thing that should be remembered in the cooking process - squid should be cooked for no more than 2-3 minutes. Otherwise, the meat can acquire a "rubber" texture and will lose a lot in taste. When the squid completely turns white in boiling water, it is considered ready.
The most convenient way to cook carrion squid in small portions. Dip 1–2 carcasses into a pot of boiling water, remove and place the following ones.In addition, during cooking, you can use, in addition to salt, any seasoning and spices: pepper, dill, parsley, cloves, basil.
The finished squid carcass becomes white
There are several simple ways to cook squid.
- Put a pot of water on a large fire, add salt and spices to taste, boil. Throw a pair of carcasses into boiling water and hold for no longer than 3 minutes. Pull out with a slotted spoon.
- Boil 1–1.5 liters of water, add salt, spices. Lower the thawed and prepared carcasses. Cover the pan with a lid and remove from heat. After 10 minutes, the meat will infuse and be ready.With the gradual cooling of the water, squid carcasses will not become stiff.
- If you have a lot of squid meat, use this method. Pour in the pan as much water as necessary to fit all the meat, salt and add spices. When the water boils over a large fire, lower the prepared squid into it. Wait until the water boils again, cover the pan with a lid, remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. After that, the water can be drained.
- You can not defrost squids before cooking. In this case, the carcasses are immersed in boiling water for 1 minute, after which the pan is removed from the heat and left in the water for 3-4 minutes.
- If you do not want to clean the squid before cooking, you can throw them into boiling water directly from the package without cutting it. Frozen unrefined carcasses are cooked for about 7 minutes, thawed - no more than 3 minutes. After that, pour them cold water, and you can easily clean the meat from the skin.
These rules are equally suitable for whole carcasses, rings and squid fillets.
Cooked squid can be cooked many dishes. These can be salads, pie or pizza toppings, soups and more.And as a separate dish, the squid will take a worthy place on your table.
For the salad, boil the squid meat for 7–10 minutes until cooked (white), and you should not defrost them before cooking. If you want to make stuffed squids or fry them after boiling, it’s enough to keep them in boiling water for 3 minutes and remove them. The final cooking of the meat will be achieved in the process of stewing or frying.
Most often boiled squid used to make salads
You can cook squid not only in a saucepan with water, because now there are so many devices that facilitate the hostess work! Cooking time of squid meat in various devices:
- in the slow cooker - 2 minutes;
- in a double boiler - 5 minutes;
- in a pressure cooker - 1 minute;
- in the microwave - 1 minute at maximum, after adding oil, lemon juice and spices.
In the latter method, you get squid in its own juice. They are perfect for salad or as a separate dish, for example, snacks for beer.
Video: how to cook squid
Fixing bugs: fixing our own mistakes
Often the first pancake comes out lumpy, and if you are still inexperienced in cooking squid, mistakes can not be avoided.The most common nuisance is that the meat has been in boiling water for a long time, which means it has become tough. It turns out that it's easy to fix. Again, put the carcass in boiling water and cook as long as possible, at least half an hour. Meat will again become soft, though, almost twice reduced in volume. It can also lose its taste.
Overcooked squid can be "reanimated" by stewing in sour cream or cream
To avoid unpleasant aftertaste and stiffness, cut the digested squid with slices and extinguish them over low heat for 20 minutes in cream or sour cream. Thanks to this method, you can correct the situation if you oversalt the meat. Such squid is no longer suitable for salad, but as a separate dish with a side dish it will perfectly complement the dinner for the whole family.
We hope our tips will help you enjoy the rich taste of properly cooked squid meat and avoid the most common mistakes.