How to sheathe plasterboard walls: tips for beginners
Drywall - one of the most popular at the moment finishing materials. It is used mainly for wall cladding, installation of partitions and suspended ceilings. Its main advantages are ease of installation and not too high cost. In this article we will talk in detail about how to sheathe plasterboard walls correctly, but first, a little history.
How the material was invented
Drywalls are made, as the name implies, from gypsum. This material was invented in America by Auguste Sackent in 1894. The first sheet of drywall was not at all like a modern one. It consisted of several sheets of paper with plaster laid between them. Its thickness was only 5 mm. In the form in which we know this material today, it began to be released only at the beginning of the twentieth century. American Stefan Kelly patented the first sheet.
The advantages and disadvantages of drywall
Those who want to have ideally smooth surfaces in their home, should sheathe the walls with drywall with their own hands. This wonderful material is different intact.
m number of indisputable advantages, it is such as:
- Ecological purity. Plasterboard sheets, even when heated, do not emit any harmful substances into the air.
- Easy installation. Of course, building a multi-level ceiling with your own hands is an impossible task. Installation is usually trusted by experts. However, the usual covering of the walls and ceiling can be done independently.
- Resistance to high and low temperatures. You can sheathe plasterboard walls on an unheated summer cottage.
- Resistant to moisture. It is allowed to install drywall even in bathrooms.
The disadvantages include primarily fragility, so when working with him you need to take some caution. During operation, it is impossible to allow too much mechanical pressure on the partitions of this material.
Plasterboard wall plastering methods
There are only two ways to plaster the walls of plasterboard - frame and frameless.In the first case, the sheets are mounted on a special crate, which is collected from wooden bars or metal profiles. The frame method is used in the case when the walls do not differ in special evenness or they need to be insulated.
The second method - frameless, involves sticking sheets right on the wall. Technologically, it is much simpler than the frame, but only very smooth walls can be sheathed in this way.
Technology installation sheet on a wooden frame
Let's take a look at how to properly sheathe the walls with drywall using a wooden frame. Fastening sheets in this case is as follows.
- Wooden bars 50 x 30 mm are strictly vertically attached to the wall. The step between them when using sheets with a length of 1200 mm should be 400 mm. In those places where the joints of gypsum boards will be located, one should fix the Buryan with a width of at least 7.5 cm. In the concrete wall one can drill holes beforehand and drive traffic jams into them. The bars are fixed with nails, dowels or screws in 1-meter increments. If the wall is “filled up,” bars are placed in the right places under the battens to get perfect right angles.
- As a heater, you can use mineral wool or expanded polystyrene plates, which are inserted between the bars of the frame. The installation must be carried out in such a way that the heat insulating material fits as tight as possible between the purlins. Attach the plates to the wall can be special dowels, "fungi". In case of using polystyrene foam, all joints are glued with construction tape.
- After installing the insulation, the walls should be sheathed with a vapor barrier film that will prevent steam from being absorbed into the insulation. Modern membranes are lined with foil and secured with wooden slats. The width of the ventilation gap between the vapor barrier and drywall will depend on the rails.
- We came close to the question of how to sheathe plasterboard walls. The procedure involves the use of screws for wood work (35 mm). The plates should be fixed in 25 cm increments. It is best to leave 5 mm between the sheets of the gap - they will be easier to close up.
Installation of drywall on a metal profile
The technology of mounting sheets on a metal profile is not much different from the method of installation on wooden bars.Let's see how to properly wall the walls with drywall in this case. Installation is as follows:
- The upper and lower guide profiles are attached to the screws.
- With a step equal to the width of the sheet, racks are installed.
- The heater and paroizolyator are mounted. The latter is mounted on an additional metal element profile.
- Sheets of drywall are fixed. Mounting is done on screws in increments of 20 cm.
Frameless drywall mounting method
Now let's see how to sheathe walls with drywall without a frame. In this case, the sheets can simply be planted on the glue. As a last resort, experts recommend using a Fugenfuller filling plaster mix. Glue is applied to the surface of the sheet with four thin strips along the entire length. Use a notched trowel to coat.
In the locations of doors, windows, all sorts of brackets, sinks, etc. sheets are covered with glue completely. There should be a gap of 10 mm between the floor and the bottom edge of the plasterboard. In order to comply with it, on the floor you need to put wooden sticks of appropriate thickness.The sheet is pressed tightly against the wall and leveled by level and plumb. All other sheets are glued in the same way.
What you need to know
How to sheathe the walls of drywall, we found out. In carrying out this work, you must follow some rules. Sheets should be installed in a run in such a way that on the surface of the wall there are no cruciform joints, as in the photo on the right. Gaskets from under the sheet are removed only after the glue has completely dried.
The base under the pasting should be smooth and smooth. The presence of crumbling sites is not allowed. It is impossible to mount gypsum plasterboards on the freezing or wetting walls in this way. It is forbidden to impose them on a fresh solution. All grease and dirt should be removed. Before pasting the wall must be primed.
When installing sheets on stone, concrete or brick walls, more adhesive should be applied to the sheets. In this case, the spacing between the adhesive strips should be 30-35 cm. The first strips should be located no farther than 5 cm from the edge of the sheet. When pasting walls, a gap of 5 mm should be left between the sheets, as in the case of paneling.At the final stage, it is sealed with putty.
How to glue drywall not too smooth walls
On uneven walls pre-installed "beacons". Cut them out of drywall. Strips 10 cm wide are glued around the perimeter of the entire wall, then vertical beacons of the same width are installed in 60 cm steps. The resulting frame is mounted and sheets are mounted. You can start installing them no sooner than two hours after attaching the "beacons".
Wooden wall decoration
Now let's see how to sheathe a wooden wall with drywall. This is done in the same way as in the design of concrete and brick surfaces. The frame is usually installed wooden. Of course, you can simply stick the sheets, but chopped or cobbled walls will need to be sheathed in sheets of plywood. They are mounted on ordinary nails. Since wooden houses give very strong shrinkage, gaps at least 5 cm are left between the surface of the floor, the ceiling and the edges of the sheets. Then they can be closed with a plinth.
As you can see, the question of how to sheathe a wooden wall with plasterboard is not particularly complex. In this case, installation is even easier, since it does not have to drill holes. Fasteners into the tree are very easy, so the frame can be mounted on ordinary nails.
How to sheathe plasterboard walls in the bathroom? The cladding in this case is also performed in either a frame or frameless way. Sheets are best placed on a metal frame. The fact is that the crate lathing from moisture can be deformed. In this case, the whole construction will lead, and ugly slots will appear between the sheets.
The question of finishing the bathroom comes down not only to how, but also to how to plasterboard the walls. For this room, be sure to choose a special moisture-proof option. To confuse it with the usual is absolutely impossible. The fact that the sheets of drywall, resistant to moisture, are green.
How much does sheath plasterboard walls?
Of course, when using a frame, the cost of wall cladding will increase. Cost of 1 m2drywall surface on a metal frame is about 300 rubles. But this, of course, is an approximate figure. The price of plating with the installation of a wooden frame is somewhat less, about 280 rubles.
The cost of plasterboard plastering walls (provided a flat surface), you can estimate for yourself.The price for a standard sheet of "gypsum" in 2014 is about 250 rubles. For the glue will have to pay about 200 rubles for 10 kg. Its consumption is about 5 kg per 10 m.2.
If you wish, you can sheathe the walls with plasterboard in a brick, concrete or wooden house. Such finishing is allowed in high humidity rooms. Sheets can be simply stuck onto flat walls (we have already mentioned that this method will be cheaper). On the "littered" or very uneven surfaces it is better to use a more expensive and time-consuming frame method.